Making Friends at Work
I had an interesting conversation with a girl from work last night. We were talking about plants which led to myself wanting to get more plants to grow up on my patio, which led to her suggesting we should go together on one of our days off to pick up some plants just outside of the city.
She was kind of apprehensive about exchanging numbers, which I thought was strange. Did she think this was a date or something?! But she has a boyfriend and she knows I have one, so what was so awkward about this? I asked her, and she says that she feels strange about befriending people at work too early (she just started in a line at work a couple of months ago). Apparently she's had conversations with another coworker who feels the same way. They've been invited to go out with some of the other girls from work before and felt strange about accepting. Their response (that they didn't actually say out loud) was "what? I have my own friends". Which I thought very strange, because I'm always up for meeting new people and hanging out with new people.
Myself having moved to a new city a year ago, I was very thankful that there were some people at work who were inviting and suggested going out and doing things together on our days off. I've made a few friends at work. Ones that I might call up and suggest going to the beach or going out in the evening together, none of them deep meaningful friendships at this point but who knows one might develop.
How is it that some people are opposed to making friends at work? Are they really such horrible personalities that they can't mix their social lives and work lives?!
I'm always up for making new friends and meeting new people especially since moving out here and really knowing barely anyone. As awkward and terrifying it can be to go and meet new people, I think it broadens us and makes us more accepting of others. If I hadn't been willing to go out and socialize with new people I know that I would never be able to move to an entirely new city across the country.
I'm glad to have made work friends, and hope to make more of them. It makes work much more fun!
She was kind of apprehensive about exchanging numbers, which I thought was strange. Did she think this was a date or something?! But she has a boyfriend and she knows I have one, so what was so awkward about this? I asked her, and she says that she feels strange about befriending people at work too early (she just started in a line at work a couple of months ago). Apparently she's had conversations with another coworker who feels the same way. They've been invited to go out with some of the other girls from work before and felt strange about accepting. Their response (that they didn't actually say out loud) was "what? I have my own friends". Which I thought very strange, because I'm always up for meeting new people and hanging out with new people.
Myself having moved to a new city a year ago, I was very thankful that there were some people at work who were inviting and suggested going out and doing things together on our days off. I've made a few friends at work. Ones that I might call up and suggest going to the beach or going out in the evening together, none of them deep meaningful friendships at this point but who knows one might develop.
How is it that some people are opposed to making friends at work? Are they really such horrible personalities that they can't mix their social lives and work lives?!
I'm always up for making new friends and meeting new people especially since moving out here and really knowing barely anyone. As awkward and terrifying it can be to go and meet new people, I think it broadens us and makes us more accepting of others. If I hadn't been willing to go out and socialize with new people I know that I would never be able to move to an entirely new city across the country.
I'm glad to have made work friends, and hope to make more of them. It makes work much more fun!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home