A Nurse's Perspective

Monday, October 17, 2005

Work work work...Not too bad tonight

I'm taking a moment from work right now. I can't believe how quiet it is here at the hospital tonight. I've been working here for four months and I've never seen it as quiet as it has been for the past three days. Not that I'm complaining, it's great to be able feel my feet and legs again. Usually after a shift (running around like a chicken with my head cut off) all I can think about is sitting/lying down.

I'm actually starting to like my job. Or maybe it's just it a slow time, and so I'm not quite as stressed as other days. I'm think back to everything that I've learned since I started work here. It's amazing how much I've picked up without realizing it. The tasks that just a month ago felt difficult and time consuming are quick and simple. I was working with a student nurse the other day, and I could actually answer a large number of her questions. It's nice to realize how far I have come along. I still hate paper work, but I'm getting faster and more efficient at it.

I've been told that it takes about a year in one area to eeally become comfortable working with orthopedic and trauma patients. Then again is probably takes a year to get comfortable in any job, no matter what it is you're doing.

I'm finally starting to get to know the other nurses. It's nice to come to work and actually know the other nurses on a different level than just work. Maybe I've gotten to know them better because it has been quieter lately, or maybe I'm working with the more calm, relaxed people(my kind of crowd). Thank goodness the other workers are helpful, nice and supportive. One of the biggest worries I had with moving across the country to a new job where I really didn't know anyone, was that my coworkers would be terrible and miserable to work with. Thank goodness that didn't happen!

One more night of work tomorrow, then I'm off for another 5 days. I'll have to find something fun to do on my days off. I've definitely got to get back to the gym. I've just got to make it part of my weekly routine, then I'll get back into shape. I miss the good old rowing years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home